2009 NGO Forum
Tenth Department of Foreign Affairs NGO Forum on Human Rights
The Tenth Department of Foreign Affairs NGO Forum on Human Rights was held at the Royal Hospital Kilmainham on Friday 20 November 2009. For a full programme of the event please click here. The keynote speaker at the Forum was the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Ms Navanethem Pillay . The Minister for Foreign Affairs, Mr Micheál Martin, T.D. delivered the opening address welcoming the High Commissioner.
There were also three panel discussions on:
- NGOs and the UN Human Rights Council
- Integrating Gender Issues into UN Human Rights Work
- Bridging the Gaps between International Human Rights and Development Work. Experiences from Practice.
The panel discussions included international experts in the field of human rights including
- Prof. Cees Flinterman, Member of the UN Committee on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) and Honorary Professor of Human Rights, Utrecht University
- Mr. Colm Ó Cuanacháin, Senior Director of Campaigns, Amnesty International
- Ms Juliette de Rivero, Advocacy Director, Human Rights Watch, Geneva
- Ms Mary Shanti Dairiam, Former Member of the UN Committee on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW)
- Prof. Michael O’Flaherty, Member of the UN Human Rights Committee and Professor of Applied Human Rights and Co-Director of the Human Rights Law Centre, University of Nottingham
A full report of the 2009 NGO Forum on Human Rights will be available on this website in due course.